Tuesday 12 August 2014

Andrew Wiggins told Kansas coach Bill Self he wanted to be traded

Denny Medley/USA TODAY Sports
Playing alongside LeBron James seems like it would be any basketball player’s dream, but not for No. 1 draft pick Andrew Wiggins.
Wiggins said last week in an awkward SportsCenter interview that he just wants to “play for a team that wants me,” and his wish is being granted now that the Cavaliers and Timberwolves have agreed to a deal that will send Kevin Love to Cleveland and Wiggins to Minnesota. Although Wiggins maintained that he believed the Cavaliers wanted him on the team, his former coach Bill Self revealed that Wiggins told him he wanted to leave Cleveland.
Via the AP:
“When all this trade stuff started, I talked to Andrew and Andrew told me, “I hope I get traded,” Self said. “And I’m like, ‘No you don’t.’ And he said, “Coach, I do. It’s better for me, knowing my personality and what I need to do, to go somewhere where I’m forced to be something as opposed to going in there where they’re going to be patient with me and I’m going to be a piece.”
According to Self, Wiggins would rather be the No. 1 guy on a rebuilding team than be an asset on a championship contender, or a sidekick to James. Wiggins is moving to an ideal situation in Minnesota — he doesn’t have to be a shooting guard, has a sensational point guard in Ricky Rubio, and won’t face the overwhelming expectations that he would in Cleveland. NBA rookies may not believe Wiggins will be the Rookie of the Year, but he’s bringing a star mentality to Minnesota.

No comments:

Post a Comment